For the second year running, World Pool will be in operation on the first three days of the Qatar Goodwood Festival, allowing racegoers and remote bettors the opportunity to bet into a single global pool.
World Pool is now in its fourth year, having started at Royal Ascot in 2019. World Pool was created by the Hong Kong Jockey Club and is a collaboration of over 20 pool betting operators.
The result is enormous liquidity, and a multi-million pound betting experience. It is proving ever popular with racing fans and is generating a significant financial return for racing.
Betting into World Pool
World Pool is accessed via the UK Tote. Bets can be placed on World Pool event at the racecourse, online at tote.co.uk – or tote.ie for Irish customers – as well as at the Tote App or via bookmakers, the majority of whom accept Tote bets online and in shops.
There is incredible value to be found in World Pool given the size of the pools created and the diversity of views from racing fans all over the globe.
All customers betting with the Tote, both online or at the racecourse, benefit from Tote Guarantee which ensures all Win bets will always match or exceed the Starting Price if the pool price is bigger. Customers betting directly with the tote.co.uk benefit from an extra 10% on winning dividends with Tote+. This means the Tote’s typical overround online on a World Pool day is c.106%, versus c.115-130% with bookmakers, and due to the Tote’s pool betting business model it can welcome winning customers.
All 22 races on the first three days of the Qatar Goodwood Festival will be included in World Pool.
Last year generated total turnover of over £59 million on worldwide pool betting on the Qatar Goodwood Festival. This should be exceeded this year with more bet types now available in World Pool.
The seven bet types in World Pool are:
· Win (Single Leg bet) – Pick the winner of the race
· Place (Single Leg bet) – Pick a horse to be placed. Hong Kong place terms apply
· Exacta (Single Leg bet) – Pick the first two horses in the correct order
· Trifecta (Single Leg bet) – Also known as the Tierce. Select the winner, the second, and the third horse in the correct order
· Quinella (Single Leg bet) – Select the first two finishers in either order
· Swinger (Single Leg bet) – Also known as the Quinella Place, pick two horses to finish first, second or third in any order
· Treble (Multi Leg bet) – Pick the first horse in the last three races
The place terms for World Pool for all races are determined by the number of declared runners and are as follows:
· 1-4 declared runners: no place pool
· 5 or 6 declared runners: 1st and 2nd. Void if less than 4 actual runners
· 7 to 20 declared runners: 1st, 2nd and 3rd. 3 places remain for 5 or 6 actual runners. Void if less than 5 actual runners.
· 21 or more declared runners: 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. 4 places remain for 20 or less actual runners
World Pool supporting British racing
Not only does World Pool help further internationalise the sport and shine the global spotlight on participating racecourses, but it also generates critical betting revenue and increased media rights for the sport. World Pool is a key part of the future sustainable funding of the sport.
World Pool Moment of the Day and Year
New for this year, “World Pool Moment of the Day” will celebrate the most exciting moments on the track throughout the week. Decided by an industry representative, the member of racing staff from the yard who looks after the horse awarded “World Pool Moment of the Day” will win £1,000 and a bottle of champagne. An award will be made following the 16 World Pool days with an overall winner, determined by a combination of scores derived from a public vote and an industry panel, announced on QIPCO British Champions Day. The overall “World Pool Moment of the Year” winner will receive £34,000 for the staff and yard (making the overall prize £50,000).